Sunday 3 June 2012

The Founder Art Challenge




A couple of weeks ago I joint the ImagineFX Art Challenge, The Founder. The title was a bit broad, so it was not clear where to head with this one. I decided to make a woman with a dress having an earthly texture. In fact, the dress was supposed to be part of the Earth itself. She was suppose to be walking around, dragging this earth like mantle and stirring life in the process. For that, I created a set of dress custom shapes (you can download them here). I spent some time putting these shapes in place. I ended up using about 50 of them to make the dress you see on the left. Using the warp and transform tools I carefully put them with the right perspective and gave them the right shape to follow the body contour. I wanted this dress only to define the shape of the woman, I was not planning in painting the whole body underneath later on.


Once the dress was completed, the main part of the job I was interested in doing was over. I wanted to played with these shapes and see what could I accomplish. I then created a forest kind of background, decided on some colour atmosphere (greenish in this case) and placed some elements to give it some life, like the foreground plants growing. The end result is what you see in the second image.

You can see a few more images in the Making of section of my website and download the shape set from there as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment